Those who know me well will tell you that I’ve become obsessed with essential oils over the last couple of years. The more I use them, the more I fall in love with them.
My kids love them and even the hubby Jason, is starting to ask for them when he needs a mood boost or immune boost.
This night cream is one of my favourite go to essential oil recipes. It’s too oily for daytime use, but I give my face a wash and a good massage with this cream every night before bed.
Benefits you ask? Well, it’s great for anti-aging, scars, elasticity, getting an even skin tone and a glowy complexion. Think youthful, smooth, and delicious smelling skin. Mmmmmmmm. 🙂
- 1/2 cup shea butter (I use organic, unrefined)
- 2-3 TB of other skin-nourishing oils (I switch it up each time I make it and try to use a combination of 2-3) jojoba, avocado, apricot and rose-hip oil
- Then I add 30-40 drops of Essential oils:
– 15 drops lavender
– 8 drops rosemary
– 10 drops carrot seed
– 10 drops frankincense
Making the Oil:
- In a sauce pan, over low heat, melt the shea butter. Then add the nourishing oils & stir.
- Place pan in the freezer for about 15 minutes. You don’t want to freeze it, but you want it solid looking again.
- Add the essential oils, use your mixer to whip it until soft and buttery (don’t over do it – the oils are sensitive)
- Scoop into a jar and enjoy.
- This can also be used for parts of the body that need extra moisturizing.
A couple of important notes:
Be sure to use therapeutic grade essential oils. I use Young Living and love them.
These are the oils I often use, but there are so many other essential oils that are also great for skin care. I never make it the same way twice, and I suggest you mix and match the oils and find combinations you love. Some others to try are geranium, ylang yang and patchouli oil.
If you’re new to essential oils and not ready to mix your own, be sure to check out Yogoil products at our studio. Yogoil founder and Yogatown student, Katie Gordon, makes some incredible essential oil blends. Just visit our front desk and the staff will help you choose the right oil for you.
Have fun experimenting with your own Delicious Night Cream Essential Oil recipe, and I’ll look forward to seeing your beautiful, glowing face at Yogatown soon.