Etiquette & FAQ
some rules we don’t bend.
some things to keep in mind
- Sorry, late-comers will not be permitted. Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior to class time.
- Sign in at the front desk when you arrive, even if you pre-registered.
- Turn off cell phones upon arriving. Absolutely no cell phones or other mobile devices are allowed in the practice room.
- Remain silent in the practice room – no talking or whispering.
- Stay in the hot room for the entire class, which includes final “savasana” (resting pose at the end). Your teacher will signal the end of class by saying, “Namaste”. If you need a break, rest in child’s pose or savasana. If you leave early, you cannot re-enter the hot room.
- Be scent free. Practicing in the heat only intensifies smells. If necessary, take a quick rinse before class to wash off perfumes or scented body lotions.
- Keep all bags and personal belongings in the changeroom. There are no lockers so please leave valuables at home or locked in your car.
- Reminder: if you pre-register, please arrive a minimum of 10 minutes before class starts. Late cancellations and no-shows are subject to a $20 cancellation fee that will be donated to charity. Read our full Registration Policy.
- Most importantly – relax, breathe deeply, and have a great class!
What can I expect from hot yoga?
You will sweat, and you’ll quickly discover the benefits and how great that is. Practicing in a hot room will also challenge you, but how much you are challenged depends largely on how intensely you choose to work during your practice. It may take you a few classes to appreciate the heat, but once you go hot, you won’t go back.
What are the benefits of hot yoga?
Practicing in a hot room can enhance your yoga practice and provide a number of additional benefits, including; detoxification through sweating, improved cardiovascular function, and the ability to work deeper and safer in your poses while reducing the risk of injury. You may also experience other benefits from yoga such as a greater resilience to stress, improved mood, improved sleep, increased strength, improved flexibility, excess weight loss, fewer aches & pains, more patience, greater productivity, improved performance in other sports / activities, and more.
Just how hot are your classes?
Our practice rooms are heated to approximately 100 degrees. We like to describe it as a comfortable heat. We use the latest in infrared heating panel technology and air exchangers to carefully control the heat and humidity in the room. Most people become accustomed to the heat within a few classes and begin to love it as they experience the benefits of practicing in a hot room.
What can I expect from Yogatown?
We pride ourselves on being a welcoming, un-intimidating, and accessible studio with a community of friendly yogis that challenge and support each other. Whether this is your first time trying yoga, or you’re a seasoned yogi, we’ll have classes suited to you. And along your journey, our staff and teachers will be there to answer all of your questions and help you in any way we can.
How is Yogatown different from other yoga studios and gyms?
Yogatown was the first exclusively hot yoga studio in Ottawa. You can rely on our experience and the high level of training, expertise, and knowledge of our teachers and staff who are among the best in the city. We’re also a family owned business that is committed to providing an exceptional level of service. We provide spacious change rooms, lounge areas with free tea, and a spa like atmosphere where you can connect with your Yogatown family.
Is Yogatown the right studio for me?
We offer a wide range of class styles that appeal to a wide range of yogis, and we’re also very proud to be the first (and currently the only) yoga studio in Ottawa to receive over one hundred 5 star Google reviews, with the highest overall ratings in town. Chances are you’ll find what you’re looking for at Yogatown, but you should try us out and decide for yourself. We’ve created an introductory offer to make it easy and affordable to discover what Yogatown is all about - $40 for a full 30 days of unlimited classes!
What if I’m not flexible?
Perfect! All the more reason for you to start yoga. The stiffer you are, the more you’ll gain from a yoga practice. Our teachers will guide you through each class, providing adjustments and variations on poses so you can work at a level suited to your body and needs. You’ll also soon discover that yoga is about more than flexibility.
Which class is best for me?
If you’re new to yoga, we recommend starting with our Town Mix class, but all of our teachers can provide adjustments to make any class on our schedule accessible for you. Our staff can also help you choose classes appropriate to your needs and goals.
Which class package should I start with?
If you’re new to Yogatown, you should definitely take advantage of our introductory offer - $40 for a full 30 days of unlimited classes! After your first month, our staff will be happy to help you find the right class package to fit for your needs.
Can I eat or drink before yoga?
Practicing on a full stomach can be uncomfortable. We recommend you eat after class, or stick to a light snack or meal beforehand. You should also hydrate throughout the day and bring a water bottle with you to sip throughout class.
Can I do hot yoga while pregnant?
Many yogis practice hot yoga while pregnant. Our owner, Tracy, practiced hot yoga throughout both of her pregnancies and naturally delivered two healthy babies. However, every mother and pregnancy is different, and you should consult with your doctor or midwife. If you do choose to practice yoga while pregnant, be sure to adjust the intensity accordingly and inform your teacher so they can offer variations and adjustments throughout class.
What should I bring?
You bring or rent the following:
- Yoga mat (available to rent)
- 2 large towels - on for your mat and one for a shower (available to rent)
- Water bottle - you can fill up with our filtered water taps
- Comfortable clothing that won’t cling when you get sweaty
- A change of clothes for after class
- Come well hydrated by drinking plenty of water in the hours before class
- Bring a smile - you’re going to love it!
How old do I need to be?
Yogis 14 years of age and older are welcome to our regularly scheduled classes. Anyone under the age of 18 must still be accompanied by an adult and must have an adult sign their waiver form upon joining. Yogis under the age of 14 can attend workshops or classes specifically designed for children. See our workshops page for workshops.
I have more questions!
Great! We have more answers. Call, email (email@example.com), or visit us at one of the studios and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.